Celebrity Chef Guy Fieri is making headlines for helping to raise more than $20 million for restaurant workers who have lost their jobs during the coronavirus pandemic.
Fieri shared an update Friday on his Restaurant Employee Relief Fund venture he started last month with the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation. The fund is awarding 10,000 new grants to restaurant workers, according to CBS News.
So far, the foundation has approved 40,000 grants — $500 each — since last month’s launch of the program, which Fieri said in an interview with TMZ Live.
“I started thinking about my brothers and sisters in the restaurant business, and a bunch of restaurants that I was closing — we gotta do something,” Fieri said in the interview about starting the relief fund.
Among the companies Fieri contacted were CEOs at PepsiCo, The Coca-Cola Company, and Uber Eats. Other “celebrities and over 40 big-name brands have also joined the cause, including the Food Network, Live Nation, TikTok, and Netflix, among others,” according to CBS News.
Restaurant workers who have been impacted financially by the pandemic can apply can for a grant on the RERF website. However, due to an “overwhelming response” of more than 60,000 applicants, the Fund has temporarily stopped accepting new applications.
Interested applicants should continue to check back. Fieri said he’s working on raising more funds for recipients.